Its National Watermelon Day, and to celebrate the unofficial fruit of summer, I visited my friends at PIX11 to show some fun things you can do and make with a watermelon.
- 6 cups chopped seeded watermelon (reserve the juice)
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 6 celery hearts, diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 ½ limes (2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon juice)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- 1 Avocado diced (optional)
Note: if you don’t like one of the veggies, you can omit or swap out with your fav veggie. Its hard to mess this up!
- Puree the watermelon chunks in a blender until smooth, set aside.
- Toss the cucumber, bell peppers, jalapeno, celery, onion, herbs, lime juice, and salt in a large bowl. Pour the watermelon puree and reserved juice over the vegetables. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Taste, then season with salt and black pepper, add more jalapeno. Serve very cold, topped with greek yogurt or sour cream. Top with diced or sliced avocado.
Watermelon Mango Salsa
- jalapeno, diced
- red onion, diced
- fresh lime juice from 2 limes
- Cut up watermelon, mango into small cubes
- Chop cilantro
- In a large bowl, add watermelon, mango, jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro
- Add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste
Watermelon Feta Salad
- Small Watermelon, cut up into cubes
- 1/2 cup of kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
- fresh mint
- Slice watermelon in half and cut the watermelon into cubes
- Keep the watermelon rind for a bowl
- Chop a few mint leaves, set aside
- In a large bowl, add watermelon cubes
- Add in feta, olives, and mint
- Toss gently
- Taste, if needed add salt & pepper (the feta and olives are salty so you might not need any)
- Serve in watermelon bowl, garnish with a few chopped mint leaves