Facts About S’mores
1. In which state or region are s’mores consumed the most?
Answer: Grand Rapid, Michigan
2. When is National S’mores Day?
Answer: National S’mores Day is August 10th each year. Celebrate this year by gathering your family for bonding time around a fire and roast up some classic s’mores. It doesn’t matter if you spark up your fire in a traditional pit, chiminea, fire bowl or a portable fire table, a small flame is all you need to create tasty s’mores treats and inspire family conversation.
3. Where does the name s’mores come from?
Answer: S’mores folklore suggests that s’mores were named right by the campfire. After eating one, young kids chanted “Gimme some more!” which blended together to sound like s’more.
4. When did Milton Hershey first introduce the Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar?
5. What is each breakable section of a Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar called?
Answer: A pip.
6.How many pips are used to make a traditional s’mores?
Answer: Six pips, which is half of a Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar
7. How many Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bars are made each year?
Answer: The Hershey Company makes more than 373 million milk chocolate bars annually. Because each bar can make two s’mores, there’s enough to make 746 million gooey s’mores treats every year.
8. Where does the name graham cracker come from?
Answer: The graham cracker was invented by and named after Reverend Sylvester Graham. He was adamant about eating a diet rich in whole wheat.
9. How many pounds of marshmallows do Americans buy each year?
Answer: Americans buy 90 million pounds of marshmallows every year. Half are toasted over a fire during summer months.
10. How many s’mores are consumed each day of summer?
Answer: An average of 2.1 million (based on six-packs of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars).
11. How many pounds of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars are consumed in s’mores on an average summer day?
Answer: 100,000 pounds (based on six-packs of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars).
HOW TO: Make S’mores
Ingredients (yields four s’mores):
4 graham crackers, broken into halves
2 (1.55 oz. each) Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars, broken into halves
1. Place 1/2 of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar on graham cracker half.
2. Carefully toast marshmallow over grill or campfire until crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside.
3. Place roasted marshmallow over chocolate and top with second graham cracker half; gently press together.
To learn more about S’mores, check out Hersheys.com